- Bernalillo County DA plans to try less cases, focus on ‘worst of the worst’
- Lawyer Responds To Veto Of Solitary Confinement Limits
- Martinez vetoes solitary reform, 'ban the box' bills
- Governor Martinez vetoes solitary confinement bill
- Solitary confinement suits cost New Mexico counties millions
- Attorneys don't want ICE agents waiting outside of courthouses
- Groups troubled by Downtown ICE arrests
- Bill would change handling of some nonviolent offenses
- Public defenders underfunded, association president says
- Continuing Legal Education
- Legislative Action
Carlos Vigil, a criminal defense attorney in Santa Fe, was killed in a drive-by shooting on August 13, 1999 just a block from the Santa Fe courthouse. As a dedicated fighter on behalf of indigent clients, Carlos was much revered by the defense community and the Carlos Vigil CLE Scholarship Fund was set up by NMCDLA in his honor. Last year, seventeen lawyers received financial assistance for defense training from this fund.
Carlos' widow, Andrea Vigil, contributed significantly to the success of the death penalty repeal in Carlos' honor -- testifying before the legislature and speaking publicly on countless occasions as a murder victim's family member. She also has contributed her hand-crafted jewelry to NMCDLA's auctions.
Rosa Maria Cortez
L. Val Whitley
El Callejon, La Familia Morales
Thank you!*Contact NMCDLA regarding scholarships, or partial payments based on financial need.