Larry Pozner is a nationally recognized trial lawyer, lecturer, and author. His book Cross Examination: Science and Techniques (Lexis, co-authored with Roger Dodd) is now in its 3rd edition and continues to be America’s bestselling book on cross. Reviewers have described the book in words such as “long”, and “in English.”
Larry’s lectures are built around the newest tools for understanding how to motivate jurors to award us the verdict we seek, the advanced techniques of cross that can immediately result in an advantage in trial, and how we can all become quicker at crafting the cross examinations that win cases.
Larry began his career in the Colorado Public Defender system. He later formed a criminal defense firm, and a subsequent firm handling both plaintiff and defense sides of document-intensive civil matters for business large and small, but if we are being blunt, mostly large. For many years Larry defended the Denver Broncos franchise in trials including the lawsuit challenging Pat Bowlen’s purchase of the team. Larry won, which is why he could remain in Colorado (1).
Larry is a Past-president of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. He is listed in Best Lawyers in America for Bet-the-Company litigation, and in Criminal Defense, both White Collar and Non-White Collar crimes (2).
He has lectured in 48 states (3) throughout Canada, and strangely, Brazil. As a teacher at the University of Denver College of Law he was voted Best Professor. But that may have been due to his “nobody flunks” policy. For way too much information see his article Case One, Day One, Colorado Lawyer May, 2018, or Lessons Learned – Criminal Defense Edition, Colorado Lawyer, March 2019.
1. I now live in Kona, on the Big Island of Hawaii where my work for the Broncos has not made any noticeable difference.
2. My firm once was named one of Denver’s best new restaurants, but the award was cancelled before I could buy the plaque.
3. Since you asked: Delaware and one of the Dakotas. I cannot remember which one.
Interested in learning more about the Chapter Method? Join NCMDLA and Larry on Friday, October 2 for a live webinar presentation. In addition to gaining a greater understanding of the advanced techniques of cross examination, you will have the opportunity to earn 6 General CLE Credits.
9:00-10:00 The philosophy of modern cross examination
– The concept of constructive cross
– Cross-centered preparation
– Making cross into story telling
10:00-11:00 The Chapter method of cross examination
– The science of chunking
– Chapter bundles
– Standalone chapters
11:00-11:15 Morning break
11:15-12:00 Viewing cases as a series of events
– How we get great quickly
– Asymmetrical cross
– Redefining a series of events
12:45-1:15 Drafting Chapters
– Single task concentration
– Small vs. large file method
– Amount of detail
1:15-2:00 Recurring chapters
– Reuse of chapters
– Pattern chapters
2:00-2:15 Afternoon Break
2:15-3:00 Page preparation
– Elements of a page
– Page format samples
– Sourcing the facts
3:15-3:45 Controlling the witness
– Leading questions: Depriving the witness of time
– One new fact per question: shrinking the field of evasion
– Group facts to tell our stories
3:45-4:30 Employing science in cross and opening
– Employing science in cross and opening
– Using opening statement to pre-sell cross-examination